An easy sauerbraten recipe is perfect for a pot roast dinner on a lazy weekend. This one-pot dinner recipe is sure to become a favorite family dinner recipe.
If you love pot roast, or just need a new pot roast recipe, then you will love sauerbraten, a German pot roast recipe.
Pot roast is one of those popular dinner recipes that everyone takes for granted. Just throw the meat in the slow cooker with some carrots and potatoes and it’s good. This delicious slow cooker pot roast with biscuit topping recipe became a family favorite.
This saurbraten recipe is a fun to make in late September for Oktoberfest at home. Pair it with some Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes and green beans for delicious fall meal.
Peppermint Bath Salts Directions:
How Long Does It Take to Make Sauerbraten?
Sauerbraten is easy to make, but it does take time. You have to plan ahead. The meat has to sit in a marinade for three days. Then the roast cooks in the oven for 3 hours. Make sure to plan ahead when you cook this.
Saurbraten is An Easy One Pot Meal
Aside from being amazingly yummy, this is also a one pot meal. Score! You can marinate the meat and then roast it in the same pot. You want a 5 quart or so pot with a lid for this recipe. If you don’t have a lid, you can cover the pot with aluminum foil while it marinates.
How To Make Saurbraten
Marinate the Roast for Three Days
Three days before you want to eat sauerbraten for dinner, make the marinade. Everyone will complain about the house stinking from the vinegar but ignore them. It’s worth it! Once the marinade is cool, submerge the roast, put on the top and put it in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Roast the Meat in the Marinade
This is what the roast looks like after 3 days of soaking in goodness! You don’t need to remove the marinade before cooking, I just did it for a photo. Just put the pot right in the oven three hours before you want it ready to eat.
The roast needs to cook for 3-4 hours. After the roast is cooked through, remove it to a platter. Leave the liquid in the pot and put it on the stove.
Make the Saurbraten Gravy with Ginger Snap Cookies
Now it’s time to add the secret ingredient – crushed ginger snap cookies! Make sure to finely ground them in to crumbs to avoid lumps. Add the crumbs to the sauce and let it cook for a few minutes. You are basically making the most amazing gravy you’ve ever tasted. The ginger snaps will thicken the liquid.
How To Serve Saurbraten
You can leave the gravy thick and chunky with the carrots and onion or you can strain them out if you prefer. Serve the sauerbraten with roasted Brussels sprouts and Instant Pot Parmesan Potatoes for an amazing fall meal.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard or prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cloves
- 3.5 lb bottom round
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 18 ginger snap cookies, finely crushed
- Add water, vinegars, clove, onion, carrot, pepper, and mustard to a 5 quart pot with a lid to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from stove and allow to cool.
- Submerge the roast in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days.
- When you are ready to cook the roast, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Set the roast out and let it warm up a bit. Once the oven is ready, stir in the sugar. Put the pot in with the cover on and cook for 3 hours or until the roast is cooked through.
- Once the roast is done, remove from the oven. Carefully move the roast on to a plate. Leave the liquid in the pot.
- Put the pot on the stove over medium high heat and add the gingersnap cookie crumbs. Stir to combine and cook until thickened, which will only take a few minutes.
- You can strain the gravy if desired. Return the roast back to the pot, cover with gravy and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g