Cheese puffs are the perfect on the go snack for kids and adults alike. Skip the cheese crackers and whip up a batch of these fun snacks instead.
We are now in the thick of the school year. All our activities have kicked in and life is crazy. It’ll all ramp up until I collapse on Christmas Eve… and start it all over again in January. One huge challenge I face as a mom with busy kids is food. We are constantly on the go and they kids are constantly hungry! Am I right? These cheese puffs are one of our favorite on the go snacks. Bake them up and throw them in an air tight bag and you can eat them in the car, at the ball park – even in school lunch.
I’ve been making cheese puffs for the kids for years, but this is the first time I tried making them with Arla Dofino Edam cheese. Arla Dofino is one of my absolute favorite cheese companies. They make a sliced havarti that has a permanent place in our fridge. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to use Edam or Gouda – so I got both!
These cheese puffs are actually a cheese shortbread recipe but you know kids aren’t really in to eating shortbread. So call them puffs and instant love. They are really quick and easy to make. The most arduous task is chopping up the cheese. You can use any semi-hard cheese but this is a great way to introduce kids to something other than cheddar and mozzarella.
Arla Dofino is hosting a Snack-to-School Facebook sweepstakes until October 15, 2015. One winner will receive a semester worth of Arla Dofino cheese and a Genuine Thermos lunch kit. Did you read that – FREE CHEESE!! So go enter! Then come back and get the recipe!
Throw all the ingredients in a food processor. Process until a crumbly mixture forms. Stick the dough together to form 1″ balls and bake for about 10 minutes.
And they are ready to go! Can you see the cheese melting out of the puff? The fun thing about this recipe is you can add herbs and spices to your taste. I make “hot” version and add a little cayenne pepper. If you sprinkle a little paprika on them when they come out of the oven they look a little orange and more like a “puff.”
Don’t forget to go enter to win an entire semester worth of FREE CHEESE from Arla Dofino! Think of the possibilities!
- 1 stick cold butter, cut in to cubes
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced Arla Dofino Edam or Gouda cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (for a HOT version)
- Paprika (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put all ingredients except the paprika in to a food processor. Pulse to mix just until mixture resembles a coarse meal, but will stick together. You can also do this by hand with a pastry blender or fork in a large bowl.
- Roll dough in to 1 inch balls. Place on cookie sheet (you can place them fairly close together) and press down slightly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until slightly puffed. Remove to rack to cool. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.