Use a brownie mix and store bought frosting to make Christmas tree brownies. All you need is a little creative cutting to make Christmas brownies Santa (and his helpers) will love.
It’s Christmas Eve. It’s been a very long month of baking, shopping, cooking, caroling and everything else. Suddenly the little people you gave birth to are in tears because you forgot to put out cookies for Santa.
Sound familiar? No? Ok, maybe it’s just us that it seems to happen to every single year! You’d think I’d learn and at least save a few cookies for poor Santa. This is what these cute Christmas tree brownies are for. They are so easy to make and you don’t need to make anything from scratch unless you want to.
And don’t worry if you don’t have the specialty sprinkles we used. Just make it work with what you have on hand. The kids will still love them. These Christmas brownies are also a great hit at kids school parties and other Christmas parties you need a dish to bring. Quick and easy and oh so adorable. You can’t go wrong.
Christmas Tree Brownies from A Box
Brownies (homemade or from a box or pouch) baked in a square pan
Vanilla icing – either in a tub from the store or homemade cream cheese vanilla icing
Green food coloring
Piping bag or zip top storage bag
Green decorating sugar
Start by baking brownies in a square pan. You can use your favorite box or pouch. You can also try your hand at our homemade brownie recipe. Allow the brownies to cool completely so you may want to bake them in the morning or a day ahead of decorating. When the brownies are cooled carefully remove brownies from pan and place on a large cutting board.
Cut the brownies in to triangles. Do this by cutting the entire square in half. Next cut triangles out of each side. You won’t need the edges so you can use those to taste test.
Prepare your icing by mixing green food coloring into the pre-made vanilla icing until desired color is reached. You can also make a homemade frosting very quickly. We love Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting , Buttercream Frosting or use our Chai Tea Frosting but use milk in place of the tea. Both frostings work great.
If you own a decorating kit, then use a piping bag to pipe on the icing. If you don’t own a piping bag, don’t worry! A plastic storage bag works just as well. Check out our post on making deviled eggs to see how to do use this fun kitchen hack.
Start at the widest part of the tree and work your way up to the tip piping the frosting back and forth as you go.
- Brownies baked in a square pan
- Pre-made or homemade frosting
- Green food coloring
- Piping bag or zip top storage bag
- Green decorating sugar
- Bake brownies according to package directions in a square baking pan. Allow to cool completely.
- Carefully remove brownies from pan and place on a large cutting board.
- Cut the brownie in half, then cut triangles out of each side. Discard the four edge pieces.
- Prepare your icing by mixing green food coloring into the pre-made vanilla icing until desired color is reached.
- Place icing in a piping bag or zip top storage bag and pipe icing onto each brownie.
- Top with green decorating sugar and Christmas light sprinkles. Add a star sprinkle to the top of each tree.