An easy chocolate fondue recipe is made dairy free using dairy free chocolate and coconut milk! This kid friendly, gluten free dessert is easy and quick to make, too.
Since we began eating healthier this year we've made a lot of changes to our diet. We started our transition by doing a 10 day detox where we cut out all wheat, dairy, sugar and caffeine. After the detox we did add back limited amounts of caffeine and sugar, but we've opted not to eat wheat or dairy. Needles to say, this has been quite a challenge and finding alternatives to old foods we ate has been both adventurous and frustrating.
I knew that there are several alternatives to dairy milk available and we tried almond, soy and coconut milk. I can tell you that not all brands are created equal and after tying several we didn't like, a friend recommended Silk brand.
We loved the Silk brand products! I found that I really like Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk the best and it's now a regular in my fridge. I love the flavor it adds to the food I make with it and that it's loaded with calcium to help us be even healthier.
I use the Silk unsweetened coconut milk mostly in smoothies, but I've also been using it in place of heavy cream or half and half in recipes with fantastic results. Last month I used it to make chocolate ganache, which is usually chocolate and heavy cream, for a chocolate flourless cake.
I wondered if I could make a chocolate fondue with it. It's been hard to find dairy free and gluten free desserts as a treat for the kids. I always have tons of fresh fruit and the fondue took me about 5 minutes to make. And as long as you use dairy free and gluten free chocolate, you have a quick, easy dessert!
- 1/4 cup Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, dairy free if you want
- Assorted fruit for dipping
- Heat the coconut milk in a small sauce pan over medium heat until the milk is hot and steaming.
- Remove the coconut milk from the heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- Serve immediately with fruit or other dippers. Keep the fondue warm for dipping.
- You can also allow the fondue to cool and it will thicken in to a delicious chocolate frosting.