This chocolate cream puff recipe is an easy dessert recipe that takes very little time and effort but results in a fancy and impressive dessert. If you don't like chocolate you can always make a traditional cream puff recipe, too, and fill it with this yummy cherry almond filling.
I saw a chocolate cream puff recipe with some fancy filling in a homemaking magazine this month. I gave the recipe a try and it was a total flop. Well, not total – the puffs tasted good, but they just never really puffed. So I decided to make up my own recipe … and it worked! This a completely original Growing Up Gabel recipe!
Cream puffs sound a little intimidating to make, but they are one of the easiest desserts I've made yet. Give me a cream puff over a cake any day. I love them because they don't require any fancy ingredients or equipment, but they look fancy and impressive.
I filled these chocolate cream puffs with a cherry almond filling, but plain whipped cream or even pudding would do. I wanted to try filling them with the filling from my peanut butter chocolate chip pie for a chocolate peanut butter comb, but ran out of time. I'm sure it'd be delicious!
For the cream puffs:
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan combine water, butter and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat and immediately stir in flour mixture. Continue to stir until dough until the dough forms a ball and leaves the side and bottom of the pan.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until completely incorporated.
- Drop dough by Tablespoons on to a cookie sheet. I use a 2 Tablespoon cookie scoop (the medium Pampered Chef scoop). Use parchment paper if you think it's necessary.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove puffs from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely.
To make the filling:
- Put cold cream in to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high with whip attachment.
- Once cream begins to thicken add cherry syrup and sugar.
- Continue to whip until cream is thick and stiff.
- Carefully slice puffs open and fill with puffs.