Chocolate covered cherries take on a patriotic twist! Maraschino cherries are skewered on toothpicks; dipped in white chocolate and decorated with sprinkles!
Don’t you just love festive red white and blue foods? They are just too much fun for summer holidays like the fourth of July and Labor Day.
I’ve got Red White and Blue Vanilla Fudge Recipe, Easy Kids Drink Recipe: Red White and Blue Kid Sangria, a Red, White, and Blue Easy White Wine Sangria Recipe for the adults and even 50 Red, White, and Blue Fourth of July Recipes!
These red, white and blue chocolate covered cherries are great to add to desserts, drinks, or just for fun at a summer time picnic.
Red White and Blue Chocolate Covered Cherries
The ingredients are pretty basic. You will need maraschino cherries with stems. We’ll be removing the stems, but you want that top cherry to have a stem.
White Wilton candy melts provide the chocolate for our cherries and the white. You could also use white chocolate chips.
The toothpicks we used are 4″, which is much longer than a standard toothpick. These are the cocktail type of toothpicks. The packages of toothpicks come with four colors. We just used the blue topped ones.
Drain cherries and place on a paper towel. Thread one cherry with a stem, and two stemless cherries onto a toothpick. You can buy stemless cherries or just remove the stems yourself.
Pat dry with paper towels. Repeat until you’ve used all cherries.
Melt half a bag of candy melts. You can melt them in the microwave according to package directions (30 seconds, stir, then another 10 seconds, and stir until smooth). Or you can melt them on the stove over low heat or a double boiler.
With a spoon, drizzle candy melts over the bottom two cherries. Be careful not to dip the cherries in to the melted chocolate as some of the juice may turn it all pink. Just use the spoon to cover two cherries and let it drip off.
Sprinkle the bottom cherry with blue sprinkles and patriotic star sprinkles. Set aside on wax paper to set up. If it’s too warm for the chocolate to set up, just throw them in the fridge for a bit.
Depending on the temperature in your house, you may need to store them in the refrigerator. Our house gets pretty warm in the summer so I refrigerate everything.
Serve the cherries on our red, white and blue ice cream for a perfectly patriotic fourth of July dessert!
- 1 jar maraschino cherries with stems
- 1 package, 12 ounces, white chocolate candy melts
- 4"Long toothpicks
- Drain cherries and place on a paper towel.
- Thread one cherry with a stem, and two stemless cherries onto a toothpick.
- Pat dry with paper towels. Repeat until you've used all cherries.
- Microwave half a bag of candy melts according to package directions (30 seconds, stir, then another 10 seconds, and stir until smooth).
- With a spoon, drizzle candy melts over the cherries and sprinkle the bottom cherry with blue sprinkles and patriotic star sprinkles.
- Set aside on wax paper to set up. Refrigerate briefly if necessary.
This article may contain affiliate links. cherries