Whether it’s just too hot to cook inside or you’re planning a camping trip, this chicken fajita foil packet recipe is a quick and easy dinner. Made with grilled chicken breast strips from our sponsor, Foster Farms, and fresh local veggies, having a summer fiesta was never easier.
Summer is in full force here in Nevada. We just had the hottest June on record with temps soaring to 110 and above for weeks. Needless to say, we are doing a lot of cooking outside on the grill so we don’t heat up the house. We also are heading for cooler temperatures on a few camping trips. One of my favorite ways to cook on the grill and when camping is using foil packets. I can prep the meal ahead of time and just throw the foil packet on the fire when we are ready to eat. To add a little fiesta to our summer meals, I decided to make foil packet fajitas.
When planning our camping menus, I try to pre-cook as much of our food as I can. I am absolutely in love with Foster Farms Refrigerated Grilled Chicken Strips. The chicken is pre-cooked and I didn't have to cook it. One less thing to do on the never ending camping “To Do List” is a huge win in my book. The chicken strips are available at Walmart and select retailers in Nevada, Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington. The chicken is ready to eat right out of the package and they are a great way to add protein to any meal.
What I love about fajitas is adding in lots of fresh veggies. Peppers and onions are pretty traditional, but with summer vegetables being available, it's fun to be creative! I added mushrooms and I bought zucchini as well and then forgot to put them in. Summer squash would be another great option.
Prepping the fajitas is super easy. Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl making sure to coat the chicken and veggies in the fajita seasoning.
Dump the entire bowl in to the middle of a large sheet of aluminum foil. I use the heavy duty kind to make sure it can stand up to a campfire without tearing. Fold the foil up lengthwise first and the roll the ends in tightly. At this point you can put the foil packet in the fridge or pack in a cooler for cooking later.
When ready to cook, prepare the grill or fire. Cook the foil packet either on a grate or right in the coals of the fire. Since the chicken is already cooked and ready to eat, these don't take long to cook. We cooked ours on a grill for about 15 minutes.
Serve the chicken and veggie mixture in tortillas warmed on the grill or over a fire. Add toppings like cheese, sour cream or guacamole.
Chicken Fajita Foil Packet Recipe for Camping
- 2 packages Foster Farms Refrigerated Grilled Chicken Strips
- 1 bell pepper, any color, sliced
- 1/2 a medium sized onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup baby portabella mushrooms, cut in to quarters
- Other vegetables as desired, sliced
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
- Vegetable oil
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- In a large bowl combine the chicken the chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over the vegetables and drizzle a little oil to help coat the mixture.
- Dump the mixture in the middle of a large rectangular piece of aluminum foil. Fold the foil over the mixture lengthwise. Roll up the ends of the foil tightly. The packets can be refrigerated until ready to cook.
- When ready to cook, place the foil packet on a grill grate or in the embers of a campfire. All to cook until all the veggies are soft but still crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately in tortillas warmed over the fire.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1071kcal Calories from fat 688|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 76g||117%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This post is sponsored by Foster Farms®, the opinions expressed are my own. This article may contain affiliate links.