Black cherry mini monkey bread is a yummy twist on homemade monkey bread. Made with cherries, Yoplait® Black Cherry yogurt, and cherry juice, these mini monkey breads are the perfect treat for snacking.
I recently read that snacking now accounts for over half of all eating. I’m assuming that’s in the U.S. because we are definitely a country of snackers if my kids are any indication. Of course, I do the mom thing and offer my kid oranges, apples and carrots as snacks. But when it comes to mommy snacking, there’s a bit more indulgence.
One of my favorite snacks is homemade monkey bread. It’s one of those recipes I make when I need to indulge a little. I make my monkey bread from scratch without canned biscuits or yeast so it’s easy to make and still homemade. I often use yogurt in my monkey bread dough and I realized that I’d never tried to make it with a flavored yogurt. I had a jar of cherries in my pantry I needed to use up and Black Cherry Monkey Bread was born. I added cherries to the tops of the bread, cherry yogurt in the dough, and cherry juice to the monkey bread sauce.
I picked up Yoplait Greek Yogurt in Black Cherry at my local Albertson’s grocery store. I was surprised, and delighted, to see that there were actual cherries right in the yogurt. You could really use any flavor of Yoplait yogurt to make a flavored monkey bread. I just happen to love cherries!
When digging around my cupboard for my fluted Bundt pan, I found this mini Bundt pan I’d completely forgotten about. These are perfect for a little snack and you aren’t tempted to eat the entire monkey bread in one sitting. I put a layer of chopped cherries and a little bit of the sauce on the bottom of each mini Bundt cake well. This will be the top of the mini monkey bread.
Roll the dough into half inch balls and place 4-5 in each Bundt. Top each mini monkey bread with more of the sugar/butter sauce. I over filled the pans on purpose because I like really sticky monkey bread. Make sure to bake the bread on top of a cookie sheet. These will overflow.
These were amazing. The cherry flavor came through in all aspects and the mini size is perfect for snacking.
- For the dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons cold butter
- 1 5.3 oz container of Yoplait 100 Calorie Greek Yogurt, Black Cherry flavor
- For the sauce:
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup juice from jar of cherries
- 1 cup maraschino or Moreno cherries, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the wells of a mini-Bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, or in a food processor with a dough hook, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in 6 Tablespoons of butter. Mix in the yogurt until a crumbly dough begins to form. Use your hands to gently knead the dough together to create a dough. Cover with a towel and set aside.
- Melt the butter, sugar and cherry juice together to form a syrup in a small pot over medium low heat. Remove from heat.
- Fill the very bottom of each mini-Bundt well with the chopped cherries. Scoop in 1/2 Tablespoon of the butter/sugar syrup.
- Form dough into small balls and 4-5 into each mini-Bundt well.
- Drizzle another tablespoon of the syrup over each Bundt.
- Place the mini Bundt pan on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the monkey bread from the oven and allow to rest for 1 minute.
- Loosely cover the mini Bundt pan with foil and then cover with a large rimmed cookie sheet. Invert the monkey breads on to the foil and cookie sheet. Cool to the touch and serve.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons (use local banner name) . The opinions and text are all mine.