This #HeroesEatMMs shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias
Celebrate the release of Captain America 2 with a movie night featuring a Captain America M&Ms Cookie Cake. Bake up your favorite cookie dough in a pizza pan and use frosting and M&Ms to make a Captain America shield.
My family are serious fans of superheroes. In particular we love Captain America and saw Captain America 2 in the movie theaters twice. We never see a move twice in the theaters! So we are ridiculously excited for the release of Captain America 2 on DVD on September 9th. And because we aren’t excited enough, I decided to make a fun cookie cake to look like Captain America’s shield.
I headed to Walmart to pick up my supplies. I had planned on stocking up on M&Ms to make the red and blue stripes on the shield and was surprised to find Mega M&Ms. These bad boys are like 4 regular M&Ms in one – true superhero sized M&Ms! So I grabbed a few bags of those, a few bags of regular M&Ms, a tub of frosting and a pizza pan.
I’ve made cookie cakes before, but it’s been a while. I started by making a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Any recipe will do. I replaced the chocolate chips with M&Ms, of courses. Spread the cookie dough out on the pizza pan but DO NOT do what I did and spread right up to the edge of the pizza pan. Leave about a 1″ gap around the edge of the pizza pan or you will also spend the afternoon cleaning cookie off of the bottom of your oven. Not fun.
While the cookie bakes dump out the Mega M&Ms and divide out the red and blue M&Ms. Be careful who you hire to help with this job or you may run short a few M&Ms!
See? I used way too much cookie dough. No worries, though, because we’re going to make this guy in to a superhero despite it’s flaws.
Frost the cookie completely with white frosting. Make sure to go to the very edge.
Place a star template in the center of the cookie. You can print the one I used: Captain America Shield Star Template.
Use blue Mega M&Ms and place them around the outer edges of the star. Carefully lift the star off and adjust the Mega M&Ms as needed. Use small blue M&Ms for the points.
Place a red Mega M&M at each point of the star. Then use more red Mega M&Ms to connect each one to form a circle. Use small red M&Ms to fill in.
To finish up, use red Mega M&Ms around the very outer edge of the cookie. We debated adding a second circle of red around the outer edge, but ran out of M&Ms so we went with one. And now your kids will think you are a superhero for making a fun Captain America treat – or at least mine did!
- Your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe or ready made chocolate chip cookie dough
- 5 bags of Mega M&Ms
- 2 bags regular M&Ms
- 1 tub of white frosting
- Prepare cookie dough according to recipe.
- Spread cookie dough on a round pizza pan leaving a 1-2" space between the cookie dough and the edge of the pan to give the dough room to spread.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until cookie dough is baked through. Allow to cool completely.
- Frost the cookie with the white frosting, making sure to cover completely. Cut out the star template and place in the middle of the cookie. Place blue Mega M&Ms around the outer edges of the star. Carefully lift and remove the star template and adjust the M&Ms to make the star using smaller M&Ms at the points.
- Place 1 red Mega M&M at each point of the star. Connect the M&Ms to make a circle around the blue star. Use smaller red M&Ms to fill in the circle.
- Place 1 or 2 rows of red Mega M&Ms around the very outside edge of the cookie cake.
- Cut and serve!