This article may contain affiliate links which support this site at no cost to you.
An easy to make candy cane wreath using scrap fabric and a wire form.
These tie on fabric wreaths are fun and easy to make. We first made them years ago as Halloween wreaths
. Over the years we have made others with seasonal fabric or the colors of favorite sports teams. But we have always made them use a round wire form. So when we found a candy cane shaped wire form, we had to try it as a fabric wreath.
The materials you need to make this candy cane wreath are minimal and inexpensive. You will need:
We used 44″ wide cotton fabric. Any fabric that you can easily tie will work. If you are a sewer then you may have some red and white scrap fabric around. But most likely, you will need to go buy some. We used plain red and white but a small pattern on the colors would be fun, too.
You will also need something to cut the fabric like scissors or a rotary cutter. And of course, something to measure for cutting the fabric.
How to Make a Candy Cane Wreath
Start by cutting the red and white fabric into strips that are 1″ wide x 7″ long. You will need a lot of strips! Keep the in two separate bags so it’s easy to find the right color when tying.
You can use scissors and a tape measure to measure the strips. A rotary cutter and cutting board makes quick work of this part. Don’t worry about being too exact. Just keep the strips this same general size.
Once the fabric is cut into strips, start tying it onto the candy cane wreath form. Beginning at the bottom of the candy cane, tie red strips along the bottom, the part parallel to the floor. You only need to knot each strip once. There will be enough fabric on the wreath to keep everything secure.
Continue to tie red strips vertically or up the form. Start by tying 6 rows of strips of red.
Add the white fabric and tie another 6 rows. Alternate back and forth between red and white.
If you want the strips to be angled, begin adding 1 red, 3 red, 6 red and 10 red on each of the vertical form wires. Once that angle is established, add 6 white strips to each vertical column.
Continue with this count of 6 color per vertical column, alternating colors. This is a great project for a road trip!
Continue until the form is completely covered, making sure all of the tails or loose ends of the strips are on the front of the form.
If you want, you can add some flowers or other decoration.
1.5 yards white cotton fabric
1.5 yards red cotton fabric
Candy cane wreath form
Ruler or tape measure
- Cut strips of red and white fabric 1" wide x 7" long.
- Beginning at the bottom of the candy cane, tie red strips along the bottom, the part parallel to the floor. Begin to tie red strips vertically or up the form.
- Tie 6 rows of one color then switch to the next color, alternating as you go.
- If you want the strips angled, begin adding 1 red, 3 red, 6 red and 10 red on each of the vertical form wires. Once that angle is established, add 6 white strips to each vertical column.
- Continue with this count of 6 color per vertical column, alternating colors.
- You only need to knot the strip once, a double knot is not necessary.
- Continue until the form is completely covered, making sure all of the tails or loose ends of the strips are on the front of the form.
- Add the floral pick if desired and hang.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This article may contain affiliate links.