I love scones. They are quick and easy enough to make fresh for breakfast and decadent enough to be a treat. Scones are also great during the summer because they are easily baked in a toaster oven.
You can use this recipe as a basis for any type of mix in you’d like — dried fruit, nuts, different flavored chips, etc. You don’t have to put the sugar on top, but it’s a nice touch.
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons cold butter
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- Sanding sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream and egg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, or in a mixing bowl, pulse/whisk together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter using the food processor, two knives or a pastry blender until mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Stir in cream/egg mixture with a wooden spoon or pulse a few times in the food processor.
- Stir in butterscotch chips.
- Continue to stir just until dough comes together -- it will be crumbly!
- Put dough on to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pat out in to a disc on the cookie sheet.
- Brush 1 Tablespoon of cream on to the dough and sprinkle sanding sugar on top.
- Cut disc in to 8 triangles.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes (I baked them for 12 minutes in the toaster oven).
Good thing butterscotch chips are a staple at my house. My boyfriend loves scones and butterscotch. I pinned to make these the next time he demands scones. Thanks for sharing at Whatcha’ Whipped Up. Hope to see you again next week!
Oh, if only I could get a hold of butterscotch chips! This recipe sounds fab and your scones look to big and fluffy!
I feel that way about cinnamon chips! I wish I could find them year round.
These look SO good! I love butterscotch. I’ve never made scones before, but I’ve been wanting to try and this is the perfect recipe! YUM. I’d love for you to join my linky party, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime! The linky runs through Friday each week.
Jeremy S says
I’ve already saved this so I can make it later this week. I love butterscotch and I’m pretty sure these are going to be delicious. Thank you for the recipe.
I hope you enjoy them!
Hi Camille, New to your blog through Foodie Friday and have joined. I just love scones and make them every Thursday when a gal I mentor comes over. She is new to scones and just loves them as I do. It will be fun to have another recipe to try for next Thursday. Thanks so much!
What a fun tradition! I have so many scone recipes and I’m constantly trying new ones. Thanks for stopping by.