Give taco night a new twist with this taco baked zucchini recipe! Turn ground turkey into a taco meat and fill zucchini, cover with cheese and bake for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Tacos are an easy weeknight dinners. A little ground meat, a little seasoning, tortillas, salsa, cheese and you are good to go. But the same old tacos in a shell or tortilla can get boring. Instead, make these stuffed zucchini boats for a delicious, and healthy, twist on taco night.
To make the taco zucchini boats, start with 3 or 4 small zucchini. Save the large zucchini to make zucchini noodles. In the winter, zucchini are pretty small so plan on 1 whole zucchini per person. You can get away with less in the summer when they are a little bit bigger.
Next, scoop out the most of the middle of the zucchini. You can use a melon baller to scoop out the middle of the zucchini. I got a little close to the edge on one of them, but don’t worry about it. The meat filling will cover it up.
You can use any ground meat you like to make the taco meat filling. You can use a store bought mix or a homemade taco mix. Make a batch of homemade seasoning and keep it for easy use. You can saute the inside of the zucchini and add that to the meat, too. Beans are another delicious addition to the mix.
Once the meat is cooked, fill your zucchini. Go ahead and fill those babies up! Let the meat spill over if you need to. You can put extra meat in between the boats if there is extra.
Finally, cover the taco zucchini boats with cheese. You can use any type of cheese. Cheddar, Monterrey jack or a Mexican blend work great. Cover with foil and bake.
Everyone loved these – even the kids! Baked zucchini boats recipe help add an extra helping of veggies to taco night, too. You can’t ask for much more than that for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
- 3-4 zucchini
- 1 lb ground turkey (or any ground meat)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 packet taco seasoning or homemade seasoning
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise. Use a spoon or a melon baller to carefully scoop out the middles of the zucchini. Place zucchini halves in to a baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in ground meat and cook through, chopping to separate.
- Once meat is cooked through, add in McCormick skillet sauce. Stir and heat through. Remove from heat.
- Fill zucchini with the taco meat. Top with shredded cheese. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the zucchini is fork tender. Serve.
This article may contain affiliate links. zucchini recipes