Baked squash with stuff is a great way to serve stuffing this Thanksgiving.
One of our most popular Thanksgiving recipes is Savory Baked Apples with Sausage Stuffing Recipe. When a reader asked if she could do the same thing with squash, we had to try it! If you are looking for a creative way to serve either stuffing or squash, this is a great option.
This baked squash uses butternut squash, but you can also use acorn squash. Any kind of stuffing should work in this recipe. Whip up a boxed stuffing mix and bake it on top.
Baked Squash with Stuffing Ingredients:
- Butternut squash (or acorn squash)
- Leftover Slow Cooker Stuffing
- Butter (or olive oil)
How to Make Baked Squash with Stuffing:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Make sure to use a sharp knife to cut it open.
Use a spoon and scoop out the seeds, discard them. Place the squash, cut side down, in a large baking pan. To get the squash to be soft, add 1″ of water to the pan and cover with foil. Bake the squash for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven. Remove the aluminum foil. Flip the squash over so it is now cut side up.
Top each squash half with 2 tablespoons of butter. You could also drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper if you would like as well.
Scoop half of the stuffing onto each of the squash halves. Just kind of pile it on there the best you can. You can use more or less stuffing as desired. Return the pan to the oven and bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
After another 30 minutes has passed, pierce the squash with a fork to make sure it is soft. If it feels too hard, put it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. If the stuffing starts to brown too much, tent a piece of foil over the top of it.
Once the squash is soft, remove from oven, cool slightly, and serve. You can give each person a squash half, cut them in half, or set them out to let people scoop out the squash and stuffing as a side dish. Baked squash with stuffing goes great with Baked Cranberry Turkey Sliders!
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 butternut squash
- 3-4 cups of stuffing
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Place the squash cut side down in a baking dish with 1" of water. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven. Remove the foil and flip the squash over.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter on each squash half.
- Equally, divide the stuffing between the two halves and top the squash with the stuffing.
- Bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes or until the squash is soft when pierced with a fork.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1292Total Fat: 84gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 13gUnsaturated Fat: 59gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 2970mgCarbohydrates: 118gFiber: 6gSugar: 13gProtein: 17g
Nutrition will depend on stuffing.