Baked macaroni and cheese is the quintessential comfort food. This one pot recipe adds a touch of the American classic Velveeta cheese to create a smooth, creamy, and delicious recipe filled with Velveeta's Liquid Gold that the entire family will love.
This is the first macaroni and cheese recipe to grace this site. The truth is that I don't really like homemade mac and cheese. I prefer the kind in a box – any box, really. I could never find the right combination of cheeses. When I mentioned to my husband that I wanted to try a baked macaroni and cheese, he voted for Velveeta.
I thought he might be on to something there. I mean, it is after all Liquid Gold, right?! We all know that Velveeta is amazing when melted for dips, but would it work to create a baked macaroni and cheese that would please my man?
The answer is YES! He loved it. I actually ate it, even. It's still not the boxed kind, but it was creamy and delicious with a bit of Velveeta's liquid gold melted in. I added some sliced Velveeta to the top of the dish right before baking, but not enough. Next time I'll definitely add more. I also did not bake this as a “one pot” meal because I wanted a prettier dish for photos, but next time the pot is going right in the oven! Less mess to clean up. Of course, whenever you eat macaroni and cheese, it begs the question… which do you use to eat Liquid Gold macaroni and cheese…:
Velveeta asked me if I knew any Liquid Gold Diggers. I'll know more soon once they taste these dishes! Why? Because Liquid Gold Diggers love the Liquid Gold of Velveeta.
One Pot Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 8-12 oz macaroni or other small pasta
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- 10 ounces Velveeta cheese, divided
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Fill a large oven proof pot with water and add salt, if desired. Bring to a boil and cook pasta until just al dente. Don't over cook or the pasta will get soggy when baking. Drain and set pasta aside.
- Return pot to stove and melt butter.
- Add flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk, avoiding lumps. Add mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring milk mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Mixture should thicken as it heats up.
- Remove from heat and add in 8 ounces of cubed Velveeta cheese along with the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese has completely melted.
- Stir in pasta - use as much or as little as you like.
- Thinly slice remaining 2 ounces of Velveeta cheese and lay on top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until dish is hot and bubbly.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 3688kcal Calories from fat 1945|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 216g||332%|
|Saturated Fat 123g||615%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Velveeta via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Velveeta.This article may contain affiliate links.