Baked chicken is always a family favorite and it’s even better with nice, crunchy skin. An easy homemade shake and bake mixture makes this baked chicken‘s skin get extra crunchy and tasty.
Baked chicken is one of those family dinners that everyone loves. There are many different ways to make it. You can use a seasoned flour coating like our Amish Baked Chicken. You can add butter and make Oven Baked Boneless Chicken Breast with Honey Butter. If you grew up somewhere in the 80’s and 90’s then you probably had baked chicken made with Shake and Bake coating.
Of course, you can buy the mix at the store but this homemade shake and bake mix is easy to make and keep on hand. Make up a batch and store it in a glass canning jar for easy use later.
You can use the shake and bake mix on chicken pieces like thighs and legs. It also goes well on boneless skinless breasts and thighs. Don’t be afraid to use it on fish and pork chops as well as chicken. We use it often on pork chops during the winter.
The oil in the recipe seems a bit odd, but it helps the mix brown up when baking. Another spice you may not have on hand is celery seed. You can leave it out, but it definitely adds a distinct flavor that’s delicious.
- 2 cups bread crumbs, store bought or homemade
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup oil of your choice
- Chicken, fish, or pork chops
- Combine all ingredients except the meat in a large bowl or quart canning jar. Mix together thoroughly with a fork or shake the jar very well. Mix can be stored for a few months in the fridge.
- When ready to use mix, remove 1/2 -1 cup of the mixture to a shallow dish.
- Rinse meat with water to get just a tad wet. Coat each side of the meat in the mixture. Add more mixture as needed until all the meat is well coated.
- Bake chicken and pork chops at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Fish will take less time, around 30 minutes. You may need to grease your baking dish.
This article may contain affiliate links.