An easy dinner recipe, smokey applewood barbecue baked chicken, is ready in about 30 minutes. Top chicken breasts with barbecue sauce, mushrooms, bacon and cheese and bake for a quick, easy and delicious dinner recipe. Thank you to McCormick for sponsoring this post! I received product free of charge to facilitate this recipe, but the recipe is entirely my own.
Today it was cold and rainy in Vegas, which is quite unusual. I also spent the weekend nursing my son and managed to catch his head cold. It was cold, wet and I felt terrible – I needed a quick and easy dinner recipe. I had boneless, skinless chicken thawed in the fridge. McCormick had just sent me a few of their new Skillet Sauces to try. I could have just followed the directions on the sauce package and made a barbecue chicken dish on the stove top. But I didn't' feel like standing there cooking and – what's the fun in following directions?!
I opted to bake the chicken instead of sauteing it. I love a dish that I can throw in the oven and walk away from. While I was at it, I decided to add onion and mushrooms to the mix. And then I found bacon in the fridge so that had to go on, too.
McCormick's new Skillet Sauces come in a bunch of different flavor options and make dinner easy. If you make the sauce as instructed dinner is ready in about 15 minutes. You can also use the sauce in a slow cooker – or bake it up like I did. So many options!
The baked barbecue chicken comes together super quickly and easily. Just layer the chicken, sauce, mushrooms and onions and then bacon. Cover and bake for about 25-30 minutes. I baked it for 40 minutes and the chicken was done and I needed to add the cheese. So go a little shorter than done.
This easy one dish dinner recipe was a hit with my family and I love how easy it is to make. The McCormick Skillet Sauces are a great, flexible option when life gets busy and you need dinner quickly and easily. Keeping a few in my pantry will help me get a delicious meal on the table without too much effort on my part.
Smoky Applewood Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipe
- 3-4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 pounds total
- 1 8 ounce package sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 packet McCormick Smoky Applewood Barbecue Skillet Sauce
- 3-4 piece cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small frying pan, saute onions and mushrooms in butter just until the mushrooms begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Spread the McCormick skillet sauce over the chicken breasts making sure to cover the chicken as completely as possible.
- Top the sauce with the sauteed onions and mushrooms.
- Place 1 slice of bacon on top of each chicken breast (on top of the mushrooms).
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and remove foil. Top chicken with cheese. Return to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 432kcal Calories from fat 210|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 23g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This article may contain affiliate links.