In my experience a good best pot roast recipe is hard to find. Look no more! Cook your roast all day in the slow cooker then make a tasty gravy on the stove top for the perfect pot roast recipe!
Pot roast is one of those dishes that has eluded me. I have spent years searching for the perfect pot roast recipe to no avail. Pot roast was apparently just not my thing.
Then I ran across this Yankee pot roast recipe and it caught my attention because it was so different from any of the other recipes I’d tried. For me, pot roast needs a hearty delicious gravy and this recipe has just that.
You can put the biscuit layer on top or just skip it. My biscuits didn’t cook well so I think next time I’ll just bake them separately because I wanted something to mop up that yummy gravy!
I think you could skip the gravy, if you wanted, but I wouldn’t! Watch the salt though if you use bouillon because it is usually pretty salty on it’s own.
The Best Pot Roast Recipe for the Slow Cooker
15 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1 3-4 lb chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 4 large carrots, cut into fourths
- 4-5 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups hot water with beef bouillon or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 extra beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 7 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup homemade baking mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- Layer potatoes, onions and carrots in the bottom of the crock of a large slow cooker.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add about 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Sear chuck roast on both sides - frying for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Just enough to brown, but not cook the roast.
- Put the roast on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Add wine to the hot frying pan and whisk to remove browned bits. Let cook for a few minutes.
- Add beef broth, bouillon cube, water, and Worcestershire sauce to the frying pan. Whisk to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add liquid to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove meat and vegetables from the slow cooker to a platter. Break roast in to large chunks.
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or other oven proof pan.
- Whisk in flour and continue to cook and whisk for 4 minutes.
- Slowly ladle the juices from the slow cooker in to the flour mixture, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to ladle until all the liquid has been incorporated. Heat the gravy until thickened, if needed.
- Add beef, potatoes and carrots in to the pot with gravy. You can serve the dish just like this or add a biscuit topping.
- Optional: mix together baking mix and milk with a fork. Drop by spoonfuls over the gravy/meat mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.