Hot and sour soup is a favorite of Chinese eateries everywhere. This soup is easy to make at home, too!
I’m not really a fan of hot and sour soup, but my husband loves it with a passion! He gave his unequivocal stamp of approval on this recipe. I thought it was OK, but again, I’d rather be eating something else.
You can add whatever you want to this soup as far as veggies go. I used what I had on hand, but you could add in water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, even chicken or pork. And feel free to halve the recipe for a small batch (or make the big one and freeze it!).
5 minsPrep Time
9 hoursCook Time
- 2 cups cubed firm tofu
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- A handful of bean sprouts
- 6 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar (the sour)
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (the hot)
- Combine all ingredients in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Adjust seasonings - if you want more sour, add more vinegar; if you want more hot, add more pepper flakes.