Here’s an older post I ran across today! There IS a reason to make soup in the summer … read on….
I have been wanting to try Julia Child’s potato and leek soup recipe Even though it was over 100 degrees today, I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to make the recipe with potatoes and leeks we picked ourselves at the local farm. We picked the produce in the morning and made soup in the evening.
Our 11 year old is responsible for cooking dinner once a week so she actually made the soup.She was very proud of her dinner and was begging our picky 4 year old to just try a little bit!
It’s amazing that water, potatoes, leeks, salt, and pepper make such a delicious meal. We figured out that it cost about $.75 to make a gigantic pot of soup. We added in a scoop of sour cream and served the soup with shredded cheddar cheese on top.
|Potato and Leek Soup||
- 4 cups sliced leeks
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 7 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: sour cream to taste
- In a heavy 3 quart pot, bring the leeks, potatoes and water to a boil.
- Add salt to taste, partially cover, and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste, sour cream, butter, cheese, etc.