Potato and leek soup is one of the easiest and most delicious soups you can make. We generally make this during the summer when we can get potatoes and leeks from our local farmer. Serve the soup with slow cooker dinner rolls and you don’t even have to turn on the oven.
I have been wanting to try Julia Child’s potato and leek soup recipe. So a few summers ago, even though it was over 100 degrees, I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to make the recipe with potatoes and leeks we picked ourselves. We picked the produce in the morning and made soup in the evening. Talk about farm to table!
Our then 11 year old helped cook dinner once a week so she actually made the soup. She was very proud of her dinner and was begging our picky 4 year old to just try a little bit!
It’s amazing that water, potatoes, leeks, salt, and pepper make such a delicious meal. We figured out that it cost about $.75 to make a gigantic pot of soup. We added in a scoop of sour cream and served the soup with shredded cheddar cheese on top. Serve the soup with slow cooker dinner rolls so you don’t even have to turn on your oven!
- 4 cups sliced leeks
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 7 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: sour cream to taste
- In a heavy 3 quart pot, bring the leeks, potatoes and water to a boil.
- Add salt to taste, partially cover, and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste, sour cream, butter, cheese, etc.