Lemon cupcakes are an easy summer dessert perfect for potlucks and picnics. I topped the lemon cupcakes with a blackberry frosting that is a cinch to pull together by adding blackberry preserves to a basic buttercream frosting. Don’t worry if you have extra lemons – Good Cooks Citrus Keepers will keep it fresh in the fridge for the next batch of lemon cupcakes!
Cupcakes are not exactly my forte. But that doesn’t keep me from making them. It just keeps me from photographing them often because, really, they are rarely impressive. But these lemon cupcakes with blackberry frosting – oh my goodness! It’s like spring and summer in your mouth. I’m always a fan of blueberry and lemon but blackberry just takes it over the top.
At first I wasn’t going to make these because I figured the frosting would require cooking down blackberries in a long drawn out process. Nope! You just use blackberry jam – super easy and delicious. If you want to try this flavor combination in an even easier dessert check out my Lemon and Blackberry Napoleons.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- For the Blackberry Frosting:
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup seedless blackberry jam
- To make cupcakes:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter and sugar together.
- Add 1 egg and beat until incorporated. Add 2nd egg and vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix thoroughly.
- Add milk, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix to combine.
- Fill paper lined muffin tins to ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- To make the frosting:
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl with salt and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until frosting begins to form.
- Add blackberry jam and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Frost cupcakes.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com