There are a lot of homemade play dough recipes on the internet and I’m pretty sure I’ve tried, and failed, them all. My poor kids. They get so excited to make play dough and then it flops. My friend, Sarah, posted this recipe on her blog last year and for some reason I recently decided I wanted to try it. Sarah made a batch last Christmas and put it in her kids’ stockings — brilliant! Anyway, Sarah is pretty crafty and I trust that if it worked for her, it works, so I we went for it.
Thank goodness, it worked! This is so much easier to do with kids than the kind you cook on the stove. I love the vibrant colors the Kool Aid gave the dough, too. I just used the store brand powdered drink mix since it was half the price of actual Kool Aid. I can’t vouch for how long this will last since we just made it, but rumor has it that it’s good for 3 months.
- 1 1/ cups flour
- ¼ cup salt
- 1-2 packages of powdered drink mix or Kool Aid
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1½ Tablespoons oil
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together flour, salt and drink mix.
- Add water and oil and mix thoroughly.
- Allow play dough to cool and then knead to fully incorporate ingredients.
- Store in an air tight container when not in use.