Welcome to Iron Chef Mom!
This week’s secret ingredient is… CHOCOLATE!
In general, this blog (and me!) is all about making everything you can from scratch. But, let’s be real. We can’t possibly make everything completely from scratch every single time. As much as I’d like to be super woman, I’m just not and I know my limits. So when I’m putting together a party and have to do a lot of food plus decorations and all the other things that come with a party, sometimes I cheat. I can’t bring myself to pay exorbitant bakery prices, though, so I go to the good old boxed cake mixes. And then I doctor it up and it tastes just like homemade!
I made these chocolate cupcakes with chocolate malt and vanilla butter cream frosting for a baby shower last month. I opted to doctor up a boxed cake mix for the cupcakes and then make my own frosting. This is the chocolate cake and chocolate malt butter cream recipes — and how to doctor up a cake mix!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix with all ingredients needed to make it plus:
- 1 small box of chocolate pudding
- 1 small container plain yogurt or 1/2 cup sour cream
- An extra egg
- Milk in amount that water is called for on the box mix
- For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- (or you can use a full 1 cup of either butter or shortening)
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- Make boxed cake mix according to directions on box only add an extra egg, replace the water with milk and add pudding (the powder) and yogurt or sour cream.
- Bake according to directions for cupcakes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- To make the frosting:
- Beat together shortening and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in malted powder and cocoa powder and beat for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in confectioners sugar until frosting is desired consistency.