Hot cocoa on a stick is a fun way to make homemade hot cocoa with milk. Hot chocolate on sticks also make great gifts for friends and neighbors.
Our weather has been super cold lately – like highs in the 40s. That’s OK, you can laugh at that. I deal with temps well over 110 in the summer so 40 is cold for me. We’re doing everything we can to try and stay warm like drinking every hot drink we can find! My favorite hot drinks are still cardamom coffee and chai tea, but the kids, of course, want hot cocoa. My favorite hot cocoa is still hearty hot cocoa, but often I want something a little quicker.
I first saw hot chocolate on a stick mentioned in a magazine with the website where you could buy it. It didn’t seem to me that it could be all that difficult to make yourself and I was right. Talk about super easy! I used mini-muffin cups for mine, but an ice cube tray would work just fine, too.
You probably have everything you need to make hot cocoa on a stick in your pantry right now. You need chocolate, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. You will also need a stick. I used lollipop sticks, which are paper, and they didn’t stand up well so I’d go for a plastic or wooden stir sticks.
Melt chocolate in a double boiler, microwave or just in a pan on the stove. We don’t own a microwave and I’m too lazy to use a double boiler so I just put it in a pan over low heat, stir and watch closely. I used some melting chocolate, but I’m sure chocolate chips would work. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. The mixture will be thick.
Carefully scoop the mixture in to a mini muffin tin or ice cube tray. A cookie scoop works great for this step. Add a stick to each one. Allow the chocolate to firm up at room temperature.
I did find that these make some VERY chocolatey hot chocolate so you could easily put less on the stick.
- 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate, diced up
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler, microwave or just in a pan on the stove.
- Remove from heat once most of the chocolate is melted and stir until the rest is melted.
- Stir in cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. The mixture will be thick.
- Using a small cookie scoop, spoon, spatula or whatever, scoop chocolate in to mini-muffin pan or ice cube tray. This recipe made 12 mini muffin sized sticks for me.
- Add a stir stick to each tin.
- Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Store in a plastic bag or container.
- To use: Immerse stick in a mug of hot milk. Stir to combine. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Giver’s Log.