Baked donuts are a fun breakfast or treat! These blueberry donuts are drizzled with a lemon glaze for a delicious flavor combination.
We are a family of donut lovers, but really, who doesn’t love donuts? I’ve tried frying donuts a few times and while they are yummy, I’ve been wanting to try baked donuts. This summer I just found two heart shaped donut pans on clearance at a store in Michigan so I snatched them up and our baked donut journey has begun.
I thought that baked donuts would be heavy and dense like the cake donuts at the donut shop. Turns out you can make light fluffy baked donuts! In fact, the texture of these reminds me more of a Krispy Kreme donut than a cake donut. The cake flour probably helps with the density. My flour ratio is only because I ran out of cake flour — use 3 cups if you have it!
My glaze ended up very, very light and it soaked right in to the donuts. If you want to actually see the glaze and have it rest on top, you may want to add more sugar.
These were so much fun to make and only took me about 20-30 minutes to whip up. My kids were too happy about the blueberries, though, so chocolate is next up on the docket.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, whisked slightly
- ½ cup blueberries, rough chopped in half
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Equal mix of milk, lemon juice and vanilla ~ just under 1 Tablespoon of each to get desired consistency
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- Add in milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
- Mix just until combined -- try not to over mix!
- Very gently fold in blueberries.
- Oil pans if needed.
- Fill donut molds ½ -3/4 full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. Donuts will not be brown on top, but will spring back when touched.
- Let donuts cool a bit in the pan and then remove and cover with glaze.
- To make the glaze -- combine all ingredients. Add more sugar to thicken or more liquid to thin out.
Adapted from Mom Advice
This post contains affiliate links.