Fried Ice cream is one of my all time favorite desserts! But a deep fried ice cream recipe just seems like a bit much even for me.
So I fake it instead.
A vanilla ice cream mixture is enveloped by a crunchy cereal crust creating an amazing fried ice cream look alike that is perfect for a crowd!
Since moving to the Southwest over a decade ago, I’ve quite improved my knowledge of Mexican and Southern American foods. I still remember the first time a waiter asked me if I wanted my enchiladas red or green.
Yup, very authentic!
Actually frying ice cream is a bit further than I want to go, but this fried ice cream recipe tastes just like you did just that! Plus it’s perfect to make for a party or potluck – if you want to share.
I’ve made this fried ice cream recipe using both homemade whipped cream and a store bought container of whipped cream. It works either way.
Make sure to leave enough time to let the fried ice cream really freeze up. After 4 hours in the freezer I could serve it but it was still soft. Overnight, though, it is perfect.
I think this would be a lot of fun as part of “Fried Ice Cream Bar” with lots of different toppings like honey, chocolate sauce, or strawberry and extra whipped cream.
Cinnamon and Caramel Fried Ice Cream Recipe
20 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 container whipped cream or homemade whipped cream
- 6 cup frosted flakes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
- Caramel sauce
- Set out ice cream to soften.
- Put frosted flakes in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add 3 cups crushed frosted flakes and 1-2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the pan. Stir to coat the cereal in the butter. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, until the cereal is lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Put half the cereal on the bottom of a baking pan. A 9 x 13 will create a thinner ice cream and a square 8 x 8 or 9x9 will result in higher, thicker servings.
- In a large bowl, add softened ice cream, whipped cream, and 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon until soft and spreadable. Add in caramel sauce, as desired, and mix in.
- Spread the ice cream mixture over the frosted flake crumbs in the baking dish. Cover the ice cream with the remaining frosted flake mixture.
- Cover with foil and freeze for at least 4 hours but overnight is best.