Chocolate Egg Cream: Desserts in Jars for #SundaySupper
An egg cream is a delightful dessert beverage that is made even more fun when you serve it in a jar! A combination of chocolate sauce, milk, and seltzer water area mixed together in a jar making a chocolate egg cream a refreshingly sweet end to any meal!
I had never heard of an egg cream until about 10 years ago when I met my husband. He actually isn’t a fan of egg creams, but his parents would talk about them all the time and I was fascinated by this drink, particularly the egg part. As it turns out, there are no eggs in an egg cream. An egg cream is basically a an ice cream soda without the ice cream. Now, I happen to be a huge fan of chocolate sodas so I knew I’d love a chocolate egg creams!
This week’s Sunday Supper is all about desserts in jars as inspired by the cookbook Desserts in Jars by Shaina Olmanson. In the book Olmanson only has one beverage type dessert, an affogato, which immediately made me think of an egg cream. I’ve pretty much decided that anything is better when served in a jar so I decided to make chocolate egg creams in jars. Make sure to keep reading because I have a giveaway for the cookbook at the very, very end of the post!
A real, authentic chocolate egg cream is made with U-Bet Chocolate syrup, which is a regional, New York area brand of chocolate syrup. I just use my own homemade chocolate sauce and call it good. You can play with the ratio of chocolate sauce to milk in the recipe – I prefer a little more chocolate sauce myself. And, of course, you can add a big old scoop of ice cream to it… I won’t tell!
What I love about chocolate egg creams in jars is that they’d be perfect for a picnic! Just put the milk and the chocolate sauce in the jars and cover. Put the jars in a cooler and bring a bottle of seltzer water to add later. Super easy and portable.
- Chocolate Syrup
- Seltzer water
- Fill jar or glass with about 1 inch of chocolate syrup.
- Add 1 inch of milk on top of the syrup and stir a little to combine.
- Slowly pour enough seltzer water to fill the remainder of the jar or glass and stir to combine.
- Drink immediately.
Sunday Supper Desserts In Jars:
- Summer Fruit Fool in Jars by Shockingly Delicious
- Banana Split Cakes in a Jar by Daily Dish Recipes
- Baked Cheesecake In A Jar by Chocolate Moosey
- Key Lime Pies in a Jar by Home Cooking Memories
- Fudgy Brownie Mix by What Smells So Good?
- 5 Minute Coffee Cake in a Jar by Juanita’s Cocina
- Strawberry Mess by Jane’s Adventure’s in Dinner
- Mini Blueberry Cream Cheese Pies by Magnolia Days
- Peach Crisp in Jars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes by Hip Foodie Mom
- Salted Caramel Frozen Yogurt by Healthy.Delicious
- Boston Cream Pie Trifle by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Egg Cream in A Jar by Growing Up Gabel
- Cinnamon Espresso Bread Pudding in a Jar by Country Girl in the Village
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake in a Jar by Runner’s Tales
- Blueberry Thyme Pie in a Jar by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Caramel Panna Cotta in a Jar by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Layered Melon Granitas in Jars by Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Velvet Wedding Cake In A Jar by Foxes Love Lemons
- Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Mascarpone in a Jar by Gotta Get Baked
- Nutella Panna Cotta in a Jar by Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie in a Jar by Big Bears Wife
- Bacon Bourbon Bread Pudding by The Urban Mrs
- Cinnamon Caramel Affogatos by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Ice Cream by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Midori Melon Flower Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Triple Berry Crisp in a Jar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Guilt-Free Blueberry Cream Cheese Gingerbread in a Jar by Eat, Move, Shine
- Gluten Free Pull-Apart Cinnamon Bread in a Jar by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Roasted Strawberry Coconut Cream Parfaits With Toasted Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Banana Ice Box Trifle In A Jar by In the Kitchen with KP
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us during the #SundaySupper Chat tonight at 7 PM EDT and you could win a ticket to the Food and Wine Conference and a 2 night stay during the conference at the beautiful Rosen Shingle Creek. Everyone that joins the chat will be entered to win.
Phew you made it! Enter to win a copy of Desserts in Jars below! Good luck!