Easy Classic Lasagna
One night, about six or seven years ago, my sister called me asking questions about making lasagna. She called about ever two minutes until I finally just went to her house and helped her make one! The thing about lasagna is that it seems like it should be easy to make, but all too often, my attempts would fall short. I’ve tried everything — pre-cooked noodles/no cook noodles; ricotta cheese/cottage cheese; ground beef/crumbled sausage; homemade sauce/store bought sauce…. I’ve done it all and this is the best recipe I’ve come up with. It’s pretty standard and basic, but it works! For best results, I like to make this and let it stand for a while so it’s not too runny when serving.
You can make this in a 9×13 pan or divide it in to two, 8 or 9 inch square pans — one for dinner and one to freeze for later.
- ½ package lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 6½ cups homemade marinara sauce
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- Combine cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and eggs in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add pasta sauce to cooked meat (right in the pan is fine) and mix well.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce on bottom of 9x13 baking dish (1/2 cup in each of smaller dishes).
- Place a third of the noodles over meat sauce. Spread half the cheese mixture over the pasta and then top with a third of the meat sauce.
- Repeat #4 again.
- Top meat sauce with remaining pasta and then the remaining meat sauce. Cover with foil.
- At this point you can freeze the lasagna or continue on.
- Bake (covered) in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover and sprinkle remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese over the top of the lasagna.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and browning, about 5 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting to serve.