I was so excited to try this dish that I put it together in the slow cooker one morning … and then realized later that afternoon that we had plans to eat out with friends that evening! Oh, well! I doubled the recipe to freeze half anyway and we just had it for lunch the next day.
This recipe is so good! I used a jar of homemade salsa and one store bought (I doubled the recipe, remember?). I spent 10 minutes sorting through the salsas at the store to find one that didn’t have “natural flavorings”. Even Newman’s Own included that mystery ingredient. Next time I’d love to try this with a peach or pineapple salsa for a sweet dish. I think this would also make a great filling for chicken enchiladas.
An easy and filling slow cooker meal! Double the recipe and freeze half for another night.
5 minsPrep Time
8 hoursCook Time
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans, drained (or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Cheddar cheese and cilantro (optional)
- In a slow cooker combine all ingredients except rice, cheese and cilantro. Give it a good stir to combine. Make sure chicken is covered well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred chicken in slow cooker.
- Serve over rice topped with cheese and cilantro.