Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
A good soup recipe is my secret trick to getting dinner on the table in 30 minutes! This broccoli cheese soup is a delicious and filling soup recipe that the whole family will love.
In general, I try to make a menu plan each week. When the weather gets cooler, I often will dedicate one night a week to soup night. I make a soup and serve it with a side of bread. Soups may seem like they are difficult to make, but they are actually one of the quickest and easiest dinner options in my recipe collection! I love that I can add veggies and meat to make a complete, one pot meal that is usually ready in 30 minutes.
Broccoli cheese soup is a family favorite. I usually just stick to broccoli in this soup, but it’d be easy to add carrots and even chicken for a one pot meal. I’ve used all different kinds of cheeses – including Velveeta – to make this soup just depending on what I have on hand. It’s a very flexible recipe! I lightened up the soup a bit by using chicken stock in place of milk, but you can use whatever you have on hand, too.
The recipe calls for 4 heads of broccoli. I just keeping putting in broccoli until it looks like enough. If you want to make things even quicker, use frozen broccoli and just cook long enough to heat it up. Sometimes I use an immersion blender to blend the soup just a little leaving most of the broccoli whole and sometimes I just leave the broccoli whole. Feel free to blend or not as much as you want.
Other soups you may want to check out:
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Clam Chowder
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Potato and Leek Soup
- Tomato Soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ stick (1/4 cup) butter or ¼ cup tasteless oil (grapeseed or similar)
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 heads broccoli cut into florets
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Cook the onions for 3 to 4 minutes in melted butter or oil.
- Sprinkle the flour over onions. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute or so.
- Pour in milk, chicken broth and half and half.
- Add nutmeg, then add broccoli, a small dash of salt, and plenty of black pepper.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt.
- Serve as is, or mash it with a potato masher to break up the broccoli a bit, or transfer to a blender in two batches and puree completely.
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Make sure to check out the rest of our meals and crafts from Back to School Week in the linky below!