I’ve been wanting to try making these for a few years. Finally all the moons aligned. I needed to use up some egg whites from a few cracked eggs and we have an over abundance of nuts in the house thanks to a clearance at the grocery store a few months back. Munchies are a must for football games and tailgate parties alike. You need something to munch on while the meat is cooking! I debated between making these spicy or sweet, but I chose sweet (so my kids would eat them, mostly). But really, you can use whatever mix of spices you like.
These really are unbelievably easy and store well. Make them days ahead of time (if you can control the people in your house from eating all of them before game day) and there is less stress on game day. A word of caution: please use aluminum foil or parchment paper on your baking sheet. I can’t be held responsible for the hours of scrubbing if you don’t.
Now I’m kinda wondering how I can make these BUFFALO STYLE! Oh YEAH!
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 6 handfuls of nuts (any kind you like!)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl combine sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg white and water until very foamy. It won't take long and a mixer isn't necessary.
- Add nuts to egg white mixture and stir to coat well. Keeping adding nuts until all the mixture is used up and nuts are well coated.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture on top of nuts and stir well to combine.
- Spread nuts out on a large jelly roll pan lined with parchment or aluminum foil.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Allow to cool. Break apart and enjoy!
Michigan plays Western Michigan today! GO BLUE!