Packing a bento style lunch box for your school age child can be overwhelming at first. But once you get the hang of it, and get the right lunch box, packing a bento will become second nature.
About 5 or 6 years ago I began trying to pack my husband bento style lunches to take to work. Back then there weren’t many bento box options for lunches so I just used a single plastic container and hoped the food didn’t get all jumbled together. Now bento box style lunch boxes are much more popular so it’s easier to pack a bento lunch box.
Last year I reviewed the Rubbermaid Lunch Blox set for my husband to use for taking his lunches to work. We still use the set and it continues to work really well for a bento style lunch. This year Rubbermaid has new LunchBlox Sets for Kids, which I knew would be great for our 1st grader this school year. Rubbermaid kindly sent me a set to try and one to giveaway!
The first thing my daughter and I noticed about this set is the colors – perfect for a 1st grade girl! Even my 4 year old son liked the bold colors and wanted a set for himself.
I’ve read many blog posts about great bento style lunch boxes that younger kids have a hard time opening. So I made sure to let Ella open, and close, the different boxes on her own and she didn’t have any problems at all. I also had her put in and take out the boxes from her lunch bag to make sure she’s comfortable with it before the rushed lunch time at school. Again, no problems at all!
I was a little worried the LunchBlox wouldn’t fit in her smaller lunch box. It’s a tight fit, but it works! And if we didn’t put the ice bag in, it would fit even better.
- Rubbermaid LunchBlox Kids Flat Kit that makes packing lunch easier than ever! The features of this product include:
- Modular containers snap together in to save space in your lunch bag
- Leak-proof lids are easy to open – no adults needed!
- Containers snap together with a Blue Ice Tray, keeping lunches chilled and fresh without
- Optimally sized for kids’ favorite lunch foods, so packing and carrying a variety of foods is easy!
- Microwave-, dishwasher- and freezer-safe and BPA-free
- The Flat Kit includes a large container with dividers, a side container, a sauce container and a
- large Blue Ice chill pack.
I received a complimentary LunchBlox set from Rubbermaid for this post but all opinions are mine. This post also contains affiliate links.This article may contain affiliate links.