Kick up cornbread with cheese and bacon in this easy cornbread recipe made in a skillet! A boxed mix is used to make a quick and easy side dish.
It’s amazing what you can make with a box of cornbread mix. You can use it to top off a Easy Weeknight Cornbread Chicken Casserole Recipe or make Skillet Corn Casserole with Cornbread. But sometimes, you just want some nice cornbread to eat with a big bowl of soup or chili.
You can doctor up a cornbread mix with a lot of great mix ins like bacon and cheese. Spice things up by adding is some diced green peppers or jalapenos. Any way you make it, this skillet cornbread recipe is not only delicious, but it’s quick to make.
Easy Cheesy Bacon Cornbread Recipe
To make the cornbread recipe you’ll need a small box of cornbread mix batter made according to the directions, a few slices of bacon and shredded cheese. Start by preparing the cornbread mix according to the directions on the box and then set it aside.
Next, cook the bacon in a small cast iron skillet until it’s nice and crispy. You can dice it before or after you cook it. Remove the bacon from the pan when it is cooked and dice if not already done. Leave as much of the bacon drippings as you can in the pan.
Remove the pan from the heat. Pour the prepared cornbread batter right in to the hot skillet with the bacon grease. Scatter the cornbread and the cheese onto the top of the cornbread. Bake according to the directions on the cornbread mix package. Ours baked for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
Once the cornbread is done, remove from the oven and let it cool a bit before cutting.
Serve the bacon cheese cornbread with homemade soup or this delicious Instant Pot chili recipe.
- 1 small box of cornbread mix (like Jiffy)
- 2-3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Prepare the cornbread batter according to directions on the package. Gently stir in half the cheese. Set aside.
- Heat a small cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add bacon to the skillet and cook until cooked through. Remove skillet from heat. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon to a plate.
- Carefully pour the cornbread mix in to the iron skillet. Scatter the bacon and cheese over the top.
- Bake according to the directions on the cornbread mix.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g