A grilled cheese sandwich is a favorite comfort food for many people. This recipe takes the plain grilled cheese up a notch by using pimento cheese as the main ingredient. But not just any pimento cheese! No, this pimento cheese is also taken up a notch with the addition of spicy chipotle peppers and salty bacon to create an unbelievable grilled cheese sandwich.
Grilled cheese sandwiches evoke memories of childhood. Our grilled cheese sandwiches were made with pasteurized American cheese on plain white bread. I still love those sandwiches but I also love upping the grilled cheese ante. I have had several pimento cheese recipes bookmarked for a few years, but never got around to making them. But when I saw a pimento cheese recipe that called for the addition of chipotle peppers and bacon, well, I had to make it.
The pimento cheese alone is to die for, but sandwiched between two slices of butter bread that are then grilled to perfection… outstanding. Plus it’s quick and easy to make for lunch. These sandwiches are hands down the best grilled cheese sandwiches I’ve ever had. Feel free to add some jalapenos or use any kind of cheese that suits your fancy to make this grilled cheese one of a kind.
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and diced
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a bowl combine all ingredients except bread and butter. Cover and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Heat griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the pan.
- Scoop pimento cheese spread on to the bread and place second slice of bread, butter side up on top of the cheese.
- Grill until both slices of bread are toasted and cheese is warm and oozing.
Adapted from This Is How We Eat.